A blog about one girl tackling her dream.

Friday, May 25, 2012

In View

When I was in high school, I thought I was taking huge steps to prepare myself for vet school. And.... they were more like teeny tiny baby steps. You know what they say about hindsight being 20/20 and all. When should I have started preparing for a veterinary school application and what should I have been doing?

Let’s start with junior year of high school.

By junior year, it is definitely a plus to have an idea of what you want to do with your life. Are you pretty sure you want to be a vet? At this point it is a good idea to talk to a veterinarian about the career. Many high schools have shadowing programs. In these, students can shadow a job they are interested for several days instead of taking classes on those days. High schools like mine, however, don't do that.

So I simply took my dog to the animal hospital for her annual checkup and sneak attacked my vet with some basic questions after she finished examining my dog. She was more than willing to help me out. However, throwing questions suddenly at a vet might not be the best idea, so call your local animal hospital to check what would be best for the veterinarian in question.

Also this year, make sure you are getting decent grades, participating in an extracurricular activity or two, and make sure to prepare to take the ACT or SAT . I actually took both exams. Many people say the SAT is easier, but I had an easier time with the ACT. I would suggest taking practice tests to see which one is better for you if you don't have the time or money for both. The better your grades and test scores, the easier it will be to be accepted to the undergraduate college of your choice. Also, the higher your scores, the better scholarships you may be qualified for. $ Chaching $.

You may wonder why I suggest taking part in some extracurricular activities. Vet schools want students who are well rounded, can socialize, and don’t spend all their time hitting the books. They want more than just a good GPA. It is actually better to be a part of a couple extracurriculars and get a 3.5 GPA than doing nothing but studying and getting a 4.0. Check out my next post for more on that.

Rule to live by: It is never too early to start preparing. Period. Get it? Got it? Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment